Closing Date: 31 October 2012
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- An LLB or equivalent tertiary qualification
- Candidates must ideally currently be enrolled or have completed an LLM in Environmental Law
- A sound understanding of legal and procedural requirements for environmental decision-making and legal challenges
- A good knowledge of recent environmental case law and recent legal developments
- An ability to work independently, without constant supervision, and to take initiative
- An ability to work effectively and creatively with limited resources
- Excellent writing and legal drafting skills
- Work experience in a legal practice or not for profit organisation, as well as experience working with communities and community organisations will be an advantage
- A sensitivity to social issues and needs
- A commitment to high quality client service
- supporting the Executive Director and staff attorneys in the legal and administrative operations at the Centre;
- conducting legal research and drafting legal opinions;
- drafting requests for information and prepare internal appeals;
- assisting the CER in preparing court applications and court actions;
- populating and maintaining the CER’s website, particularly its Virtual Environmental Law Library.
Commencement date, working hours and duration: The Centre accepts new internships on a rolling basis starting in January 2013. Exact commencement date, working hours and remuneration will be negotiated with the successful candidates, but will allow for ongoing post-graduate study.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter motivating why you have the necessary passion, qualifications, skills and experience for this position, as well as a short CV, to [email protected]. In your cover letter, please indicate your existing commitments for 2013, if any (particularly study obligations).
The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.