Closing Date: 15 June 2012
The programmes are designed to give candidates the following opportunities:
- Gain relevant knowledge, experience and skill through hands-on involvement within the relevant competency area.
- Work on projects with guidance and mentoring from highly skilled engineers.
- Learn practical application of study material.
- Gain work experience.
Opportunities, Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bursaries – 301279: Currently enrolled for or will enrol for a Bachelor’s degree in electronic engineering, computer engineering or computer science.
- Vacation work – 301280: Currently enrolled for a Bachelor’s degree in electronic engineering, computer engineering or computer science. This takes place in June/July and December/January school holidays.
- Internships – 301281: A completed Bachelor’s or Honour’s degree in electronic engineering, computer engineering or computer science. The contract period is for 12 months.
- Studentships – 301283: A competed Bachelor’s degree in electronic engineering, computer engineering or computer science. The contract period is for two years. Applicants should also be currently enrolled for or will enrol for a Master’s or doctoral degree in electronic engineering, computer engineering or computer science. Applicants should also be prepared to do a research project (i.e. dissertation and thesis) on a topic relevant to the CSIR.
The following is required for all the programmes:
- A minimum average of 65%.
- Computer literacy; using of spreadsheets and word processing software.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be an enthusiastic and a self-motivated individual.
- Take ownership of certain tasks and take initiative in their position.
- Be fluent in English.
- Ability to work well under pressure and as part of a team is essential.Willingness to work in a military research environment that serves both local and international clients and stakeholders.
- A letter motivating your choice of study and why you deserve to be supported.
- Latest academic results.
- Copy of your CV (with full contact details).
- Copy of an identity document.
- Average of your latest semester marks; year of study or intended; programme registered for; surname and first name (for example: 70%; 3rd year; BSc in computer science; Smith Lerato).
- Clearly indicate in the subject line of your letter:
- The unit you are applying for (i.e. DPSS).
- State the programme you are applying for.
Applications Must Include:
South African citizenship is necessary as security clearance is required for this position.
Should you meet the above requirements, please go to the URL indicated below in order to apply; select the position reference number; complete the application form and attach your CV: www.csir.co.za/apply.php (Bursaries – 301279; Vacation work – 301280; Internships – 301281; Studentships – 301283)
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history.
The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.