The CSIR/Department of Science and Technology National Centre for Nanostructured Materials is a platform for the implementation of the South African National Nanotechnology Strategy. It undertakes innovative research on nano-structured materials and has an extensive research network with other local and international research organisations. It has a strong focus on human capital development, makes a significant contribution to the creation and dissemination of new scientific knowledge, and collaborates closely with industry to help ensure successful outcomes and impact of the group’s research and development activities. The positions are based in Pretoria.
The research unit is seeking motivated and enthusiastic Interns to gain exposure and practical work experience by involvement in our research projects:
- Polymer Nanocomposites: chemical and polymer processing involving manufacturing of nano structures and upscaling, and developing polymer nanocomposites for various applications,
- Materials for Device Applications: fabrication and testing / characterisation of materials
- Characterisation Facility: assisting staff, CSIR, academic and industrial clients in the characterisation of materials across a number of techniques and instruments
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Must have one of the following:
- National Diploma or BTech in Chemical Engineering, in polymer science and/or polymer processing, Polymer Technology or Materials Science, or Polymer Technology or Materials Science
- OR BSc or BSc (Hons) in Biochemistry and Physiology
- OR BSc(Hons) in Chemistry or Physics or Materials Science
Any experience of the following will also be an advantage:
- Industrial experience in chemical plan operation, compounding or polymer processing or synthesis
- CAD / industrial drawing experience
- Expertise in hands-on running of characterization equipment, either electron microscopy (SEM, TEM), x-ray instruments (XRD), optical instruments (FTIR, PL etc), and polymer characterization instruments (TGA, DMA, DSC, Rheometry etc).
- Acceptable communication and presentation skills
- Research and report-writing skills
- Problem-solving, solution-seeking orientation
- A goal-oriented approach
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams
- Computer literacy
How to Apply
Comments are closed.