Closing Date: 12 August 2012
The interns will be responsible for fieldwork including sampling and maintenance of water quality monitoring stations for a project aimed at improving water quality of our natural resources. These positions are based in Pretoria.
- Calibration and basic maintenance of field units for water quality monitoring.
- Site and pre-installation checks for water quality monitoring units.
- Sampling and submission of water samples.
- Field measurements including basic chemistry.
- Responsible for the use and care of auto-samplers and field measurement units.
- Data capturing and maintenance of records for sites.
- Ad hoc investigations related to the field units.
- Stand-by duties for troubleshooting and sampling.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A diploma or Bachelor’s degree in analytical chemistry or chemistry-related field.
- Basic chemistry/water chemistry background.
- South African citizens.
- Valid driver’s licence.
- Less than one year of work experience.
- High level of responsibility.
- Ability to work without supervision.
- Own transport.
- Excellent analytical thinking and troubleshooting skills.
- Reliable and possess a good work ethic.
- Strong report-writing skills.
- Willingness to work non-standard extended or flexible hours.
- Willingness to travel extensively and drive long distances to conduct fieldwork activities.
How to Apply
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.