Closing date: 15 March 2012
CSIR Built Environment (BE) unit has a vacant position for three Interns in the Infrastructure Engineering competence area. This competency area is currently undertaking a three-year research and development (R&D) strategic research project which focuses on improvement of pavement performance through better materials characterisation using three-dimensional (3D) laser and numerical techniques. One of the ultimate goals of the project is to generate new knowledge and human capital development to support the transport infrastructure sector in South Africa. The project team recognises the shortages of skills and human capacity in the transport infrastructure sector, and plans to use this project to effectively train
young researchers, technologists and artisans.
The current vacancies seek young engineers who are registered minimally for an Honours degree at an accredited South African university. These positions are based in Pretoria.
Key performance areas
- Conduct basic and applied research relating to laser scanning of aggregates used in pavements.
- Conduct joint and collaborative research with the CSIR and South African universities.
- Identify and source a wide range of materials that reflect different aggregate types for laser scanning.
- Establish an information database on aggregates using the CSIR laser scanning device.
- Conduct laser investigation of ablation of bitumen film thickness, and the use of
- optical coherence tomography to measure surface profile/texture.
- Conduct laboratory tests that relate aggregate properties obtained from laser scanning to road materials parameters such as rutting in the field.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, and studying towards an Honours degree in civil engineering at an accredited South African university.
- Excellent computer presentation skills.
- Good interpersonal and team skills.
- Must have the ability to work independently as well as in an interdisciplinary team.
- Must be self motivated.
- Problem-solving and solution-seeking orientation.
Should you meet the above requirements, please go to the URL indicated below in order to apply; select the position reference number 301015; complete the application form and attach your CV: www.csir.co.za/apply.php
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at [email protected]. Please DO NOT submit your application to this mailbox.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.