Closing Date: 27 November 2015
The CSIR has an In-service Training opportunity for registered students who seek practical experience. The incumbent will assist with laboratory-based electronic designs and fieldwork. This position is based in Rosebank, Cape Town.
Under supervision, the Trainee will assist with the following:
- Technical engineering tasks associated with the field of marine electronics, autonomous robotics and general technologies;
- Assembling and testing of electronic systems, sub-systems, laboratory-based design and construction;
- Executing schematic drawings and printed circuit board designs;
- User interface, microcontrollers, embedded and high-end software;
- Installing, constructing, commissioning, wiring interfacing of electronic equipment’s;
- Finding faults, repairing, testing and servicing of analogue and digital electronic equipment;
- Providing general support to qualified engineers and technicians;
- Reporting on technical and administrative documentation;
- Procuring components and general administrative tasks;
- Servicing and piloting of existing robotics platforms.
- Currently enrolled for a national diploma in electrical engineering (Light Current) and must have completed S1, S2, S3 and S4 theoretical blocks or must be currently busy with S4;
- Must have an interest in general technologies (mechanical design, 3D rendering);
- Hands-on practical approach to technical construction (application of theoretical knowledge);
- Willing and able to work for extended periods on research vessels at sea (Antarctica, local and international waters);
- An awareness and interest in the environment and ocean technologies will be an added advantage.
How to Apply
Should you meet the above requirements, please email your CV to [email protected] with your name and surname, position title and reference number on the subject line, (e.g. John Smith: In-service Training: Reference No: 306124).