Closing Date: 11 January 2012
The Bioprocess Development Group of the Protein Technology Platform is part of the Biosciences operating unit of the CSIR. This group deals with the development of bioprocesses, scale-up and piloting of technologies to produce biological products. As part of the social responsibility, the group provides opportunities for experiential learning of deserving candidates requiring work integrated learning as part fulfillment for their national diploma qualification. The successful candidate should be an aspirant scientist requiring experiential learning in biotechnology and will work closely with a multidisciplinary, dynamic team of researchers and will report directly to the research group leader.
Technical work would involve the detailed planning and execution of experimental work under supervision in the area of biotechnology related to Bioprocess and Product development.
- Design, plan and execute experiments under supervision.
- In-depth analysis and objective interpretation of data under supervision.
- Contribute to writing reports and manuscripts.
- Contribute to presenting data in a poster format or orally.
- Perform operational responsibilities including, infrastructure, equipment, GLP and SHE.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- The minimum education qualification will be the completion of at least two years’ theoretical component of a national diploma in biotechnology. Candidates able to demonstrate and in-depth understanding of theory, with ability to apply knowledge, will be given preference.
- Experience in basic laboratory techniques in microbiology, process engineering, biotechnology, biochemistry, product development or associated fields.
- A strong work ethic (e.g. accountability and reliability) and the ability to work under supervision within a dynamic team environment.
- The following competencies are critical for this position: innovation; sound technical knowledge; integrity and lateral thinking ability; and knowledge and appreciation of a cross-disciplinary project team environment.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to contribute across the boundaries imposed by classical scientific disciplines.
How to Apply