Closing Date: 30 April 2012
The CSIR’s intern programme aims to provide newly-qualified professionals with the opportunity to gain in-service training at the CSIR, one of South Africa’s leading research organisations. CSIR Information Services (CSIRIS) in Pretoria is inviting newly-qualified professionals to apply for Library and Information Science Internships. These contract positions are for a period of 12 months.
- Perform intermediary tasks such as literature searches, reference interviews and dissemination of information (making use of Sabinet, the Internet and an up-to-date range of electronic resources such as online journal platforms)
- Scan, analyse and indexing of subject literature
- Build effective relationships with internal clients
- Apply general knowledge management principles, where appropriate
- Use technology to develop innovative services and products
- Gain sound knowledge of the administrative tasks that form the backbone of an effective information service to scientists
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A first diploma or degree in library/information science
- Proven computer skills
- Experience in using library web 2.0 technologies will be an advantage
- Experience in indexing will be an advantage
- All of the following are desirable:
- Innovative and entrepreneurial thought;
- Desire to experiment with new technology, products and services;
- Drive to succeed;
- Passion for knowledge and knowledge generation;
- Ability to transfer knowledge and to empower or enable others;
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Being organised and diligent;
- Planning skills;
- Ability to work independently and within a team;
- Problem solving skills; and
- Project management skills.
Should you meet the above requirements, please go to the URL indicated below in order to apply; select the position reference number 301135; complete the application form and attach your CV:www.csir.co.za/apply.php
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at [email protected] . Please do not submit your application to this mailbox.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.