Closing Date: 17 January 2014
The CSIR is pleased to announce a comprehensive bursary programme that is aimed at providing support for talented students in selected fields of science, engineering and technology (SET). The bursary is designed to be especially attractive to those students that are considering a career in research, with a value that will comprehensively cover all the normal costs associated with university studies, such as registration, tuition, books, accommodation, meals, laptop, etc. A generous living expenses allowance is an additional part of the package, to assist all selected students with incidental costs. Both academic merit and financial need will be considered during the selection process, as well as the imperative to increase the participation of women and black people in SET.
CSIR conducts research and development for the purpose of contributing towards the optimal utilisation of the natural resource base for the sustainable benefit of South Africa and Africa.
This impact and vision is achieved via the following focus areas:
1. Adapting to and mitigating global change;
2. Ecosystems Service Delivery;
3. Securing water quality and quantity ; and
4. Environmental Solutions for a Green Economy.
The CSIR Natural Resources and Environment invites applications from students wishing to register for the 2014 academic year in the following fields:
BSc/BEng B SocSc honours studies in the natural resources and the environmental field:
- Agricultural Micro Meteorology
- Environmental Sciences (students studying towards Applied Mathematics, Physics, and Mathematical Statistics may apply, provided that they have an interest in Climatology and the Environmental Sciences)
- Meteorology / Climatology / Geography (students studying towards Applied Mathematics, Physics, and Mathematical Statistics may apply, provided that they have an interest in Climatology and the Environmental Sciences)
- Chemical Engineering
- Geography & Environmental Management (with focus on Waste Management)
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Applied Mathematics
- ICT (with focus on Scientific data processing and analysis programming)
Requirements: • A South African citizen • Enrolment at a South African university in 2014 • An average of 65% for the current academic year • Interested in pursuing a research career • Willingness to work in a diverse environment.
Your application must include: • A copy of your Identity Document • A copy of your CV • Latest academic results.
Preference will be given to applicants from previously disadvantaged backgrounds and people living with disabilities.
Should you not be contacted within one month of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
How to Apply
Apply Online (undergraduate) or Apply Online (postgraduate)