Closing Date: 14 April 2012
CSIR Built Environment (BE) unit has a vacant position for an Intern: Statistics in the Logistics and Quantitative Methods competence area. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a newly qualified statistician to work in a team under the mentorship and guidance of other statisticians in undertaking theoretical and contract research projects. This position offers the incumbent the necessary practical experience required to develop his/her own skills and to lay the foundation for a career as a statistical researcher. This position is based in Pretoria.
The position will focus on:
- Statistical research and analysis
- The incumbent will be expected to:
- Contribute to applied statistical and multidisciplinary research projects related to the
- built environment;
- Contribute to the technical report; and
- Develop research skills.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- An Honours degree in mathematical statistics or an equivalent statistical qualification.
- Must have knowledge of spread-sheets, word processing packages and a statistical package(s) is required.
- Good interpersonal and team skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in an interdisciplinary team.
- Problem-solving, solution-seeking orientation.
- Good communication, presentation and writing skills.
It is expected that the candidate’s qualification included study topics in more than one of the following:
- Spatial statistics
- Time series analysis
- Regression analysis
- Multivariate analysis
- Indicator development
- Experimental design
- Bayesian statistics
- Linear models
Should you meet the above requirements, please go to the URL indicated below in order to apply; select the position reference number 301073; complete the application form and attach your CV: www.csir.co.za/apply.php
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at [email protected] . Please do not submit your application to this mailbox.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.