Closing Date: 17 October 2012
About the Job:
The interns will be responsible for fieldwork including sampling and maintenance of water quality monitoring stations for a project aimed at improving water quality of our natural resources.
- Calibration and basic maintenance of field units for water quality monitoring.
- Site and pre-installation checks for water quality monitoring units.
- Sampling and submission of water samples.
- Field measurements including basic chemistry.
- Responsible for the use and care of auto-samplers and field measurement units.
- Data capturing and maintenance of records for sites.
- Ad hoc investigations related to the field units.
- Stand-by duties for troubleshooting and sampling.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A diploma or Bachelor’s degree in analytical chemistry or chemistry-related field.
- Basic chemistry/water chemistry background.
- South African citizens.
- Valid driver’s licence.
- Less than one year of work experience.
- High level of responsibility.
- Ability to work without supervision.
- Own transport.
- Excellent analytical thinking and troubleshooting skills.
- Reliable and possess a good work ethic.
- Strong report-writing skills.
- Willingness to work non-standard extended or flexible hours.
- Willingness to travel extensively and drive long distances to conduct fieldwork activities.
How to Apply