Applications are open to current Social Work students as well as prospective students who would like to enroll for a Social Work Degree. Students who are currently holders of a National Department of Social Development Scholarship do not have to apply.
The Scholarship will cover Registration, Tuition, Prescribed books, stipend for practical’s and official accommodation provided by the University (ONLY ACCOMMODATION, WHICH HAS BEEN CONTRACTED BY THE RELEVANT UNIVERSITY MIGHT BE CONSIDERED).
The applicant must:
Be a South African Citizen
New applicants must comply with the entry requirements set by the University and provide proof of admission by the University or a proof of payment for admission.
- Fully and correctly complete the scholarship application form which is obtainable from the Social Work faculty at the University or from the Provincial Departments of Social Development (See contact details below).
- Attach the following documentation such as a CV, certified copies of grade 12 results, Academic Record, your Identity Document, your parents or legal guardian identity document and their proof of income.
- Be prepared to enter into an agreement for counter service with the Department of Social Development.
THE STUDENT SHOULD STILL APPLY TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HIS/HER CHOICE TO REQUEST ADMISSION.
- Be a South African Citizen
- Comply with the entry requirements set by the University
- Fully and correctly complete the Scholarship Application form
- Be prepared to enter into an agreement with the Department (More details will be contained in the agreement)
- Must complete the qualification within the minimum period as prescribed by the University
- Certified copy of Grade 12results
- Certified copy of Identity
- Document of applicant
- Certified copy of ID and Proof of income of Parent/ Guardian
- Current first year students/Prospective students in Social Work who need to undergo a selection process as prescribed by the University must provide proof that they have been selected to continue with their studies. (proof of admission by the University/proof of payment for admission)
- Certified copy of Identity Document of applicant
- Certified copy of Academic record on the official letterhead of the University
If the above documentation is not attached to your application form then your application will not be considered.
CURRENT SOCIAL WORK SCHOLARSHIP HOLDERS
Please note that current Social Work Scholarship Holders students must have passed and be progressing to the next level of their studies as per their respective universities requirements to be considered for further funding.
HOW WILL I KNOW THAT I HAVE BEEN SELECTED FOR A SCHOLARSHIP?
A selection panel will assess all the applications received. Due to the large number of applications received only successful candidates will be informed in writing. Make sure that the address provided on your application form is correct.
PLEASE APPLY THROUGH YOUR PROVINCE. PROVINCIAL CONTACT DETAILS ARE AVAILABLE IN THIS INFORMATION PACK.
The applicant must indicate in writing if he/she accepts the scholarship. A special reply slip will be attached to the notification letter and will have to be returned to the Departmental representative within 14 days after receipt of the notification.
After receipt of the acceptance letter of the applicant by the Departmental Representative, arrangements will be made for the signing of the scholarship contract. (More details will be contained in the contract).
A copy of the acceptance letter and the signed scholarship contract will be provided to NSFAS to arrange for payment.
Scholarship monies will only be paid out once the scholarship contract, curriculum exposition, the letter of acceptance and the specified statement of fees due to the University have been received by the Department/NSFAS. It is in your own interest to furnish the relevant parties with the above — mentioned documents without delay.
Failure to comply with these stipulations will mean that you forfeit the scholarship
AFTER COMPLETION OFMYSTUDIES
Fourth year students must provide copies of their final results within one month after completion of their studies in order to ensure placement according to the contractual Obligations (Contract will provide more information)
WHAT WILL BE COVERED BY THE SCHOLARSHIP?
The Scholarship will pay for Registration, Tuition, Prescribed books, Official Accommodation provided by the university and practical stipends for fourth year students only. Only accommodation contracted by the relevant university will be considered.
Please note that
- Only specified accounts will be paid. When purchasing books, every item must be specified. Only prescribed study material will be covered by the scholarship.
- This Department pays, within the amount of the scholarship, only appropriate expenses and does not pay out any unused money to the student.
- All claims for payment must be submitted to your NSFAS office by not later than 1 March for the first semester and 1 August for the second semester to ensure that all accounts are paid timeously. STUDENTS SHOULD LIAISE WITH THE FINANCIAL AID OFFICES TO COMPLETE AND SIGN THE SCHEDULE OF PARTICULARS. FAILURE TO DO THIS MAY RESULT IN THE NON-PAYMENT OF YOUR ACCOUNTS.
- Full study fees will only be settled after April, however a minimum payment will be made by NSFAS after receipt of a proforma invoice.
To enable the Department to keep abreast of your academic progress and to authorize the payment of scholarship monies for further years, it will be necessary for you to give an exposition of your intended curriculum for each year of study. This should clearly indicate your major and ancillary subjects.
On enrolling at an Institution of Higher Learning for the new academic year, kindly fill in the name and address of the above-mentioned departmental representative on the appropriate section of the registration form. This will ensure that both a progress report as well as your examination results will be forwarded to the Department. Such action will expedite the payment of your scholarship money by NSFAS.
You may not change your field of study for which the scholarship was awarded.
How to Apply
Download Information about Your Local Department of Social Development Contact Details [PDF] or Download Information about Your Local Department of Social Development Contact Details [DOC]
Download application form