Postgraduate Bursary Programme
Mintek’s Postgraduate Bursary Programme further equips undergraduates through the development of research methodology skills at the Masters level, followed by the generation of original research that contributes new knowledge to a field at the Doctoral level. Bursaries cover the full payment of registration, tuition and residence fees, plus an allowance, in return for a commitment to work at Mintek on a month-for-month basis. Bursars are also given the opportunity to work closely with some of the world’s foremost researchers, learn more about other scientific divisions at Mintek and become involved in interesting research.
Bursaries are awarded in the following fields of study:
- Chemistry (Analytical or Geochemistry)
- Chemical Engineering (Minerals Processing or Process Control)
- Electrical Engineering (Process Control Systems or Electronics)
- Extractive Metallurgy (Pyrometallurgy or Hydrometallurgy, including Bio-hydrometallurgy)
- Fuel Cells
- Geology (Mineralogy, Petrology, Applied Geology or Economic Geology)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Minerals Processing
- Mining Engineering
- Mining-Focused Environmental Compliance
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Physical Metallurgy
- Precious Metal-Based drug Discovery
Note that some of the above fields are relevant only at the postgraduate level. Please also note that Mintek does not provide bursaries to students studying towards their National Diplomas.
Postgraduate bursaries are offered subject to Mintek’s ongoing research and development programmes. As such, successful applications are subject to approval by the relevant Mintek research manager, which may also entail negotiation between the student, the student’s supervisor at university, and the potential supervisor at Mintek concerning the research project. Foreign nationals residing in South Africa may, in exceptional circumstances, apply for a postgraduate bursary…
Download Application Form
There is no closing date to submit applications to Mintek’s Postgraduate Bursary Programme (for Masters studies and above).