As part of the University’s Equity initiative applications are invited from graduates to be part of our Graduate Internship Programme. This opportunity exists at Rhodes University in Grahamstown and will run from 1st February 2012 to 31st January 2013. This programme supports the concept of mentoring as an essential means for learning and development and affords graduates the opportunity to develop critical skills in order to progress in their careers.
Graduates with University degrees and one or more of the following majors will be considered for the various internships:
- South African Institute for Aquatic Biodiversity: Marketing, Journalism, Communications, Media (a background or interest in Life Sciences would be an advantage.)
- Human Resources: Industrial Psychology, Human Resources Management, Psychology
- Zoology & Entomology: Zoology and Entomology
- Chemistry: Chemistry
- Physics and Electronics: Physics and Electronics
- Those in possession of a University Degree OR about to complete their degree at the end of 2011;
- Those who have 1 year or less work experience, i.e. those with more than a year’s formal and continuous work experience are not eligible;
- Must be Black (as defined by the Employment Equity Act) in accordance with the University’s Equity Policy.
- Must be from the Eastern Cape and be prepared to reside in Grahamstown for the duration of your Internship (by from the Eastern Cape we mean, those who were born in the Eastern Cape and wish to return, those who have family members in the Eastern Cape and/or those who currently reside in the Eastern Cape).
- Shortlisted candidates who are from outside of Grahamstown will be requested to provide reasonable proof of accommodation arrangements in Grahamstown for the duration of the Internship.
Required competencies & attributes:
- Enthusiasm and commitment to personal growth & development
- Clarity on short and medium term career goals
- High energy levels and a sound work ethic
- Self leadership skills, i.e. reliability and the ability to manage oneself
- The ability to show initiative and work proactively
- Sound interpersonal skills, i.e. the ability to work with others, ask for help, and cope with feedback and constructive criticism
- Sound organisational skills and the ability to meet deadlines and manage one’s own time effectively and productively
- The ability to work accurately and pay attention to detail
- Computer literacy, with a basic knowledge of Word, Excel, Email and the Internet
No CV or Certificates are required. Please complete the application form and save it with your surname as the file name. Please attach your application on an email and a copy of your ID with the job title (including which specific internship) as the subject line and send it to:
SAIAB Job Profile
Zoology & Entomology Job Profile
Human Resources Job Profile
Biochemistry, Microbilogy & Biotechnology Job Profile
Physics & Electronics Job Profile
Graduate Internship Application Form
Closing Date: 12h00 Monday 10 October 2011
If you are not contacted by the 31st October please consider your application unsuccessful.
Short-listed candidates will undergo skills assessments on 1 November 2011
Successful candidates will be interviewed on 14 November 2011
Induction on 23 – 27 January 2012
Starting date 1 February 2012
R5 618 per month