Closing Date: 07 April 2019
The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) is looking for productive and talented postgraduates to join its one-year programme in January 2020.
Graduates will work and learn at the SARB Head Office in Pretoria from January to December 2020. During the year, they will be assigned to a department and exposed to various roles and projects.
The programme courses
During the programme, graduates will attend courses at the SARB Academy for approximately 30 days. Courses include monetary policy, macroprudential policy and financial stability, bank supervision and regulation, financial markets and reserves management, currency issuance and management as well as personal and professional skills such as making presentations, impactful reporting, data analysis, teamwork, personal mastery and diplomacy. Graduates can also choose from the following electives:
- Basic financial risk management
- Economic concepts and indicators
- Public finance
- Financial markets and instruments
- Anti-money laundering
- The national payment system
After the first year
At the end of the year, some graduates will be permanently appointed into a department of the SARB. Those most likely to be appointed are graduates who:
- are interested in continuing their career at the SARB;
- have a desire to make a contribution to monetary policy, financial stability, currency management, supervising financial institutions, financial markets or one of the SARB’s enabling functions;
- have demonstrated behaviours aligned to the SARB’s values of accountability, excellence, integrity, respect and trust, and open communication;
- are able to function independently and contribute actively and effectively in a team; and
- have performed exceptionally well in their assigned departments and academically.
Who should apply?
You meet the requirements if you:
- have completed a postgraduate degree;
- have attained an average of over 65% in your final year;
- have a strong desire to work in financial services and/or policy making;
- have a proven track record of academic excellence;
- have excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- are a South African citizen; and
- are a curious and keen learner.
Degree focus areas
The SARB will consider postgraduate students with capability in at least one of the following areas:
- Policy analysis
- Public finance
- Financial management
- Information technology
- Portfolio or investment management
- Quantitative analysis
- Risk management
- International relations
How to Apply
Apply Online for the SARB Graduate / Internship Programme 2020