Closing Date: 15 April 2013
Location: Mount Edgecombe, KwaZulu-Natal
This is a permanent position based in Mount Edgecombe. No travel is required and the premises are close to public transport bus stops. The South African Sugar Association provides an excellent learning opportunity within a relaxed work environment. On-the-job training and regular seminars are provided and canteen and clinic services are available on site. Annual paid leave is 15 days’ per year with two additional paid half-days off work per month.
The following is an indication of what is expected of the incumbent:
- Statistical analysis of experimental data, determining the appropriate statistics to be used with reference to the project description
- Production of graphical presentations of the data
- Production of experimental designs and field plans
- Data entry operations
- Transferring data provided electronically into the processing system.
You will need the following to be successful in this position:
- A Degree or Diploma in Statistics or Biometry
- Computer literacy (in Microsoft Excel and Outlook)
- Proficiency in using a statistics software package (GENSTAT would be advantageous)
- Must be enthusiastic and willing to learn
- Must display attention to detail, planning & organising and the ability to check and evaluate data
- Must communicate confidently and articulately in both written and verbal communication in English in order to liaise with and report results back to scientists
- Must have the ability to work in a team on group projects and to work independently on individual projects.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- Analyse numerical or statistical data
- Use spreadsheet software
- Act as advisor to research personnel
- Apply mathematical or statistical methods
- Conduct research
- Applying quantitative research methods
- Applying statistics & mathematics to solve practical problems
- Research methods to study the results of work on farms, forests and research stations
- Algebra, calculus, statistics & its application
- Communicate statistical information to researchers
How to Apply:
Please apply online following the instructions provided, and please attach your detailed CV & academic record.
SASA reserves the right to consider late applications.
Comments are closed.