Here is an idea:

What if we could to come together and share information with many of youngsters with matric certificates who are sitting at home so that they can go to varsity / college?

One would think that it is impossible for everybody to get their careers off the ground through learnerships. Because there are quite a few of them. Looking at our society at large one would also think that staying at home is not new. That before this generation many others have been through the frustrating experience of waking everyday with little to nothing do to take one’s career to the next level. But the bottom line is, they got up and did something with their lives.

As such, if  you’ve stayed at home for a long time and one day decided you are going to do something with your life, would you share your experience with others in order for them to follow your trail?

So, here is what we are going to do for the next two months:

Instead of sitting at home and trying to get one of the few learnership opportunities (frustrating), let’s encourage our little brothers and sisters to go to university / college.

Here is how you can help:

• If you stayed at home for a while after you passed matric and later managed to go college/varsity, how did you do it?
  • How/where did you get funding?
  • Can someone in a similar position like you were follow the steps you did and still go college/varsity?
  • If you could summarise the process into a few steps, what are the main things to do?

This is not limited to the above possibilities, if you know a way that others can get funding to go to varsity /  college, you can share what you know too.

So far here is what can be of use to someone sitting at home:

Problem Fund How to get it What do you Need
Lack funds but want to go to varsity NSFAS Apply for admission to a university of your choice and enquire about NSFAS. Affidavit
Want to be a teacher but lack funds NSFAS + The Department of Education http://www.dbe.gov.za/
Want to go to varsity but your marks are poor Consider going to a finishing school and improve your results

Please use the comments section below to share information…

Update: Since we want to keep a list useful information could you PLEASE not leave a comment if you are only writing about your problem (Example: I have been sitting at home for x number of years etc… That doesn’t help anyone).

Thanks.

Puff & Pass Team

Got Something To Say:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment may take some time to appear.

229 Comments

• Robert says:

Hi!i had pass my matric since 2005 i din’t pass well.no fund for studying further and unemployed since matric but still hope that one day i will get fund to study office administration diploma.help if there’s any were i can find learnership or any money to pesuid my dream

• phophi says:

hi im done doing my N6 certificate 4 public relations,but most leanershps n interns seem to be wanting diplomas and degrees,so hw do i 5nd experience.or its beter 2go bek 2 skul?

• Bhekithemba says:

H’ my name is bhekithemba i pass my matric 2010 i was looking for logestic diploma i been cry to apply for bursary/nersfas i didn’t get a respond servelary time i don’t know what i must do.

• mmetja says:

have u thought about taking out a student loan…it might help u for th 1st yr. thn ur second yr thn u can apply for nsfas

• PRECIOUS says:

hi i am precious i was a student at tut on 2011.i dropped out due to pregnancy and after i gave birth,then there was complications he got very sick so i had to drop out.now m left with a huge debt that i can settle i dont have a job.its been two years now sitting at home finding jobs as a casual.i want to go back to school but nefsas wont fund me…though i decided to go to fet college i dont know if i will be funded. your information will be highly appreciatd THANX.

• Calvin says:

Hi I’m Calvin. I completed my matric in 2011 with a 50%+ in HL, 50%+ in 1st Additional, 80%+ in Maths lit, etc. I recently applied for a BEd(FET) course, because of greater chances for funding, at UNISA along with NSFAS funding but, unfortunately, couldn’t study further because was told that funding was depleted.
    I intend to reapply for 2014 for a BA in Communication Science, as this is my desired path. What worries me is that NSFAS does not fund this type of qualification and so I do not know what steps to take next. I am really frustrated and every time I think about furthering my studies I feel hopeless cause of lack of funding. I would like tips on what to do or lists of relevant sources that can… that WILL help fund my studies for my intended qualification.
    Any type of assistance/Tip/Guidelines will be highly appreciated!

• Lesedi says:

Hi,m lesedi nd i matriculated in 2011.i got symbol B in maths nd symbols C in physical science.ive always wanted to study in varsity but as results of finacial challenges i was forced to study at college where by nw m done with my N6 mechanical engineering.So nw m in need of a learnership or bursary to study at varsity bcus i jst dnt lyk it to stay at home and do nothing..help please.

• Khayakazi says:

Hai!i matriculated 2010 its almost 3yearz nw i have bin at home,what hurts me is that my wish was to study nursing bt i could not meet the requirments to study in higher institution,because i passed with a diploma certificate.My marks for maths and science are less than 40 percent,Im fustraighted dont know where to began and where to get help.Please if i can get assistance i would grab it with my both hands.

• Ntombikayise says:

Hi my name is Ntombikayise . I am studying a BSc in Chemistry and Mathematics at the University of Capetown . I was also i a similar situation of not having enough marks to get into the University of my choice .. But with handwork and perseverance I did.

I know how hard it is to get into varsity especially to disadvantage learners . So I go to my previous high school every year to speak with the learners there. To inform them about the the opportunities out there for them when they have finished school and what they need to do to get into varsity. Me and my friends designed a video which shows high school pupils what varsity life is like .

I would really like to help into inspiring you people . So if there is anything that I can do please contact me.

• Lebogang says:

hi. i matriculated in 2013 and got accepted at UP to study BSc Chemistry. the sad part is the university terminated my studies due to poor academic perfomance so i only studied for first semester.
      the reason to my poor perfomance is i had no enough money to pay for my transportation to go to university everyday, which meant i missed my classes and couldn’t even write all my semester tests and couldnt write exams.
      i tried to apply for nsfas & student loans but i didnt get financial aid. in 2013 when i was in matric i even applied for bursaries & had no responce. i enjoy chemistry a lot & want to continue studying it what should i do?

• tumelo says:

hi i have finish my matric in 2011.my mark are not bad.i am intrested in teaching but i can found more information on how to get the fund to study.

• Ramothudi says:

Fineshed my matric in 2006 wth an Exemption in Maths &will like to study civil engineering further i complete my NQf level 4 in civil engineering wth a company that offer practical training

• BOIPELO says:

My advice register at varsity apply NSFAS or use EDU LOAN first year and SECOND year go around and search for that burssary

• thandoh says:

Hi it about 12 yrs now since I pass my matric my result were not that bad coz my acc was symbol c nd maths d I study short course computer lit and Cashier but I dnt find job in 2012 I applied with unisa but I ddnt get nsfas so I let it go like that my dream is to be financial manager what to do now?

• aviwe says:

i studied music diploma with nsfas, but couldnt finsh my last year becouse fuding stoped in my forth year. The past year and half of this year Iv been looking for work, any type of work but Im not getting any. I still want to finish my music diploma ,whilst I still need to earn to help out financialy at home… Help please

• lungelo says:

hi! My name is lungelo. From kzn. I finished my matric in 2009. My wish is to become a teacher, so now i can’t able to do that since because, i qualify for an diploma courses. On my subjects i have maths with level 5, English with level 3 and, physical sciences with level 3, etc. At least i can teach maths without qualification if it possible, special grade 10-12 even life sciences i can. Thanks

• Site Editor says:

Look around the site there is one teacher bursary at the moment.

• Lungelo says:

Hi! I did check at your site but i ddnt found a teacher bursary. Will you assist me to get this. Please

• Ephraim says:

The Funza Lushaka Bursary

The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme is a multi-year programme that promotes teaching in public schools. Full-cost bursaries are available to enable eligible students to complete a full teaching qualification in an area of national priority. Recipients of these bursaries will be required to teach at a public school for the same number of years that they receive the bursary.

Qualified recipients of the bursary must request placement in a province of their choice. The provincial education department (PED) concerned will determine whether there is suitable post available. If there is not, the applicant may be placed in a PED that does have suitable vacancies. Please note that bursars cannot choose the school in which they would like to be placed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

•Applications for the Funza Lushaka bursary for 2014 will be accepted from 01 October 2013.
        •Please note that there are approximately 3500 new bursaries available in 2014. New applicants are advised to also pursue other funding opportunities.
        Closing dates:
        Re-applications close on 15 November 2013; New applications close on 10 January 2014.

•Brochure: Information about Initial Teacher Education
        •Read this before you make your application

• blessings says:

hey Lungelo, please check the Department of Basic Education website there a bursary scheme called Fundza Lushaka for those who want to pursue a career in teaching.

• johannes says:

Hi I completed my matric in 2011, my both Economic & B. Studies marks are less than 40%, I want to know where to start as I have financial problems and want to further my studies. How do I first step my own desired career off the ground?

• Denver says:

You can apply NSfAS Simultaneously(sp) the same time when you send your application!!

• Shivanie says:

Hi you said one can applying for nsfas simultaneously wid the cao,do you mean by ticking the box on the form that says do u need financial assistance ,or do i go to college and get a financial aid form.tx 4 ur help

• Yolanda says:

I am not certain but usually if one already has a qualification then NSFAS doesn’t pay for the second qualification. Ask the institution in which you intend to study at as NSFAS policies are not the same for all institutions, I know FET Colleges are not too strict on the rules due to the low academic fees.

• Walter says:

Hi im walter,i hve completed my matric by de yr 2005,im gud at drawings & art n design nd also wnt 2 persue wth my talent.bt de prblm im nt workin n im 4rm a disadvantageous family.

• Shivanie says:

Hi im about to send my application to university and my question is when do i apply for nsfas is it when i send the cao or when i recieve an acceptance letter?and also if the financial aid doesnt come through and i cnt go to uni how wid i go about cancelling my application ?

• phumudzo says:

you apply after u got accepted…

• mfundo says:

Hi my name is mfundo. U knw on the cao form there is a block dat says do u wnt financail aids or not that whr u should tick if u need it. Read ur cao form first b4 u send it through. Gudluck on ur studies

• Bontle says:

since i finished ma matric last year,I wanted to go to university this tear and study Social Work but due to lack of finance i was not able to persui my career, so now i have been apllying for learnerships but i seems not to get anything . Am currently looking for any job atleast be able to pay for the admission fee but nothing has shown up. I may nt be academically deserving but my passion lies in able to help out others.

• Thendo says:

Hi, since you want to study social work I suggest you go to the university of you choice and inquire about the social development bursary that the government offer. I know if you get it you study for free, go ask about it.

• Amahle says:

U can go 2 the deperment of social work thy give out bursaries 2 all most all the student who wish 2 study social work 2 the university of their choice

• sarah says:

I’ve matriculated a year ago n have been applying for learnerships n volunteering ever since,turns out they were all non beneficial then I ended up job hunting since I became the bread winner at home.I’ve been working at a fast food reastaurant as a cashier for 4 months now but I’m not at peace since my marks are good.the main problem is not applying because my marks can also get me NSFAS funding,bt i cnt apply because if I go to school full time then my family will suffer more.please anybody who can inform me more abt part time studying n funding would be of great help to me.my main interest is in the humanities n finance fuculties.

• Denver says:

UNISA will be good for because its distance university,goodluck

• mahlatse says:

Hey I also had de same problem then I started my diploma at unisa n finished off at uj.what u can do is apply at unisa for any cause u want to study then u get a student number n then u can apply for NSFAS.hope everything goes well for u.