Location: Cape Winelands, Central Karoo, Eden, Metro, Overberg, West Coast
The National Youth Service (NYS) Programme is a skills development programme offered by the Department of Transport and Public Works in the Western Cape. It is aimed at unemployed youth in the technical trade industry with no work experience and those in the technical trade industry with work ex
The National Youth Service Programme aims to:
- Create an enabling environment for participants to develop their skills.
- Provide training and management support to participants.
- Assess performance.
- Be inclusive of all gender or geographical locations and be linked to community service, internships and career-oriented studies.perience but no trade certification.
The NYS Programme aims to impart skills, understanding and an aspiration for working in the built environment. The construction trade training needs have therefore been identified through the following areas:
- Air-conditioning and Refrigeration.
- Construction Masonry and Plastering.
- Electrical Wiring.
- Construction Plumbing.
- Construction Tiling.
- Construction Painting.
- Construction Carpentry.
- Road Works.
- Construction Floor Covering.
- Construction Welding.
- Construction Plant Operator.
- A valid Identity Document (ID).
- Between the ages of 18-35 years.
- Minimum Grade 10 or equivalent (RPL).
- Must reside in the Western Cape.
- Must attend the compulsory briefing session.
- Must be willing to enter into a one year National Youth Service Programme that will include youth development activities, technical and on-the-job practical training.
- Past experience in a construction industry trade, such as bricklaying, plumbing, plastering, carpentry, etc. will be beneficial.
- Persons with a disability who meet the above criteria may apply.
A strict selection process takes place paying particular attention to the development of youth, women, persons with disabilities and youth in conflict with the law. The number of learners selected depends on the budget and the number of projects assigned to the programme.
How To Apply
Applications must be posted to NYS- Learnership Phase 7, Department of Transport & Public Works, Skills Development Unit, Private Bag 9078, Cape Town, 8000.
Contact Person: Zukiswa Nogcenisa
Tel: 021 483 2956
|West Coast and Cape Winelands Regions
Contact Person: Ayanda Kettledas
Tel: 021 483 8556
|Overberg and Eden Regions
Contact Person: Allison Nocholls
Tel: 021 483 4300
|Central Karoo Regions
Contact Person: Ntombomzi Mjajubana
Tel: 021 483 5329
|Information Officer: Construction Industry, Innovation and Empowerment: Bonnetta Beelders
Tel: 021 483 5329
|Manager: Skills Development Unit: Ferdie Jacobs
Tel: 021 483 8541
Comments are closed.